Panama City is the perfect place to visit if you are looking for a quick international getaway that doesn’t break the bank. Panama lies right at the lower end of Central America, bordering South America. I managed to score a straight flight with Delta Airlines from New York (JFK) for $290.00. The weather was perfect it wasn’t too hot or humid and it rained once early morning. The people of Panama were very nice and I felt safe traveling solo. The language spoken here is primarily Spanish but a vast amount of locals speak English. I found it quite easy to get around via Ubers. The Ubers were between $2-$7. I suggest using uber as opposed to a local taxi for safety and to ensure you’re not getting ripped off. Panama’s currency is USD so there is no need to exchange money.
Where to stay:
I choose to stay at the JW Mariott for it’s ocean front views and infinity pool. The room was very spacious and included a shower and bathtub with a balcony overlooking Panama City. JW Marriott Panama stands tall, rising 70 stories above Panama Bay, along the chic Punta Pacifica peninsula. It is the tallest building in all of Central America. I paid $185.00 per night and was able to do early check in. It’s a 15 minute drive from the airport and Casco Viejo.
For my last night I decided to stay at an Air bnb in Casco Viejo. I loved the ambiance here but the room was tiny compared to my hotel room. I enjoyed the spacious rooftop and the proximity to local restaurants and attractions.
The W Panama is another great option or the Sortis Hotel, Spa & Casino, Autograph Collection. These luxury hotels are all apart of the Mariott Bonvoy collection and offer skyline views of Panama City.
Where to eat:
- Maholo Cocina y Jardin
- Michael’s Restaurant (Brunch all Day!) Closes at 4pm and Closed on Mondays
- Tantalo Kitchen
Dinner and Drinks
- La Vespa Vista Mare
- Casa Casco Rooftop Bar and Restaurant
- Furia Panama
- Kahlo By Frida
- Primitivo Steakhouse Club
- Lazotea Rooftop ( Latin American Cusine and Drinks on the Rooftop)
- Fenicia Restaurant and Lounge Hookah Available
- Panaviera Sky Bar overlooking Panama City
- Selina Rooftop Bar located on top of Hostel Selina Casco Viejo great for drinks and small bites
Things to Do
- Take a trip to San Blas Island
- Vist Tabago Island you can either take the Tabogo Express at Amador Causeway round trip for $24.00 its a 30 min ride or book an excursion with a group.
- Take a Monkey Island Tour
- Visit the Panama Canal and the Panama Canal Museum
- Check out the Seafood Market (Mercado de Mariscos)
- Check out the Pedro Mandinga Rum Bar in Casco Viejo
- Walk around Casco Viejo
I hope my Panama travel guide has hopefully given you a good starting point to plan your Central America travel. Belize is another good location I suggest. Have you ever visited Central America if so, what’s your favorite country?